Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Olympics reality still settling in for Lipinski

Ignite Co-Owner going to Summer Games as flag football DC

By Darren Steinke
Gordie Howe Sports Complex

Joel Lipinski hugs Marc-Antoine Dequoy (#24).
Joel Lipinski still has times it stuns him that it is an actual thing he will be going to the Olympics with football.

On August 16 at the International Federation of American Football (IFAF) Flag World Championships in Dusseldorf, Germany, Lipinski served as the Defensive Coordinator for Team Canada, who were taking part in the bronze medal game against Mexico. Canada claimed a 34-26 victory in overtime, where the win was sealed by an interception from defensive back Guillaume Beland. Canada claimed the bronze medal and locked up a berth at the 2028 Summer Olympics, which will run July 14 to 30 of that year in Los Angeles, Calif.

Flag football will make its debut as a sport at the 2028 Olympics. For Lipinski, he still has moments where he can’t believe going to the Olympics will be an actual thing for him.

“I still don’t know if it feels completely real,” said Lipinski, who is a Co-owner and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach of Ignite Athletics located on the Gordie Howe Sports Complex grounds. “For so long, the Olympics were this massive thing you watched every few years and you saw athletes representing Canada on the biggest sporting stage in the world.

“I never really pictured myself being part of that. Now, there’s actually an Olympic Games on the calendar that we are preparing for. We qualified. Canada is going.

“I’m going to have the opportunity to represent our country there as a coach. When I actually stop and think about it that way, it’s pretty wild. I think there will probably be a few moments over the next two years where it becomes more and more real.”

Long before becoming a coach in strength and conditioning, Lipinski had played football as a defensive back. In the tackle side of the game, he suited up for Regina’s Campbell Collegiate Tartans, the University of Regina Rams and Saint Mary’s University Huskies in U Sports, the Vancouver Island Raiders in the CJFL, the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Elks in the CFL and Football Canada’s Men’s National Team in both tackle and flag. During those years, Lipinski never thought about going to the Olympics as football was not part of that multi-sport event and celebration.

In his childhood days growing up in Regina, Lipinski admitted he did have dreams of being part of the Olympics when either the Summer Games or Winter Games were on TV.

Joel Lipinski, centre, offers tips at an Ignite Athletics training session.
“I think every kid watches the Olympics and imagines what it would be like to represent Canada,” said Lipinski, who is the Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Football Team. “You watch Canadians win medals and see the flag go up and you understand, even as a kid, that there is something different about representing your country at the Olympics.

“I just never imagined football would eventually be the sport that gave me that opportunity. That’s probably what makes this whole thing even more special.”

While Lipinski is best known for his work as a strength and conditioning coach, the 41-year-old has worked as a football coach over numerous years in his life and has been a head coach at the high school level and has coached defensive backs at the university level. He has been involved with Team Canada on the flag football side for over a decade.

When Football Canada hired famed CFL coach Paul LaPolice to be the head coach of the National Men’s Flag Team on May 8, 2025, he interviewed Lipinski for the Defensive Coordinator position. 

Lipinski was officially brought on as the team’s Defensive Coordinator on May 20, 2025. He has enjoyed working with LaPolice.

“It’s been awesome,” said Lipinski. “Paul has coached football at an incredibly high level for a long time, and I would be lying if I said I haven’t tried to absorb as much as I possibly can from being around him.

“One thing I really appreciate about Paul is that he allows his coaches to coach. He challenges you, asks questions and makes you defend what you believe, but he also gives you ownership. That has made me a better coach.”

Joel Lipinski enjoys coaching with Football Canada.
At the Flag Football Worlds, Canada suffered heartbreak dropping a 41-36 decision in a semifinal against Italy on August 15. Lipinski was proud of how the Canadian team was able to rebound to win the bronze game in overtime the next day over Mexico. The highlight was seeing the win get sealed by Beland’s interception.

“That might be one of the greatest moments I’ve ever experienced in football,” said Lipinski, who stands 5-foot-10 and weighed 195 pounds in his playing days. “There is so much that goes into preparing for those moments that nobody sees (in) the meetings, film, conversations, adjustments and all the reps with the players.

“Then you get into overtime against an unbelievable Mexico team, with an Olympic berth and a World Championship medal essentially hanging in the balance and Guillaume makes the play. On a team full of great players, he was our defensive captain and was completely selfless in any game play that we put together. He is someone I have leaned on throughout the years I have known him for his IQ and pulse of the team, and I could not be happier for him that he was the one to make that play.

“The second he caught it, I think every emotion from the entire tournament came out at once.”

After Beland made his interception, Lipinski took part in the celebrations making a mad dash down the field with Beland and a host of Canadian players that finished with a group hug in an end zone. At that moment, you wouldn’t have known Lipinski was still recovering from tearing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in one of his knees.

“That is probably the most impressive athletic performance of my entire World Championship,” said Lipinski with a chuckle. “I was five months out from ACL surgery and apparently completely forgot that for about 30 seconds.

“I saw Guillaume pick the ball off and all rehab protocols immediately went out the window. Looking back at the video, there were definitely a couple of moments where I thought, “That probably wasn’t in the return-to-sport plan.” Luckily, the knee survived.”

Joel Lipinski, left, is pictured with Canadian players at Worlds.
While Lipinski is proud of what the Canadian team accomplished, he said the focus is already shifting towards preparing for the Olympics and making good use of the two years preparation time leading up to it.

“Now, the real work starts,” said Lipinski, who has received congratulations pretty much everywhere he has gone in Saskatoon since returning home. “Qualifying was obviously a massive accomplishment, but we’re not going to spend two years celebrating the fact that we qualified.

“The question becomes: how good can we become between now and Los Angeles? We have two years to evaluate our systems, evaluate ourselves as coaches, continue developing players, identify new players and keep learning where international flag football is going. The sport is evolving incredibly quickly.

“For me personally, I want to look back two years from now and know that I used every opportunity between Worlds and the Olympics to become a better defensive coordinator. There are probably 100 things we can do better, and now we have two years to go find them.”

He added the belief is high that Canada can win a medal at the Olympics in 2028.

“We absolutely want to win a medal, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying that,” said Lipinski. “Canada just finished third in the world.

“We know how good the best teams in the world are, we know how small the margins are between winning and losing at that level, and we also know that we can compete with them. At the same time, nobody is giving us anything, because we won a bronze medal at Worlds. There are two years of work between now and Los Angeles.

Joel Lipinski and Team Canada pose for a team photo.
“The dream is obviously standing on an Olympic podium with a Canadian flag and a medal around our necks (even though coaches do not get medals). If we’re going all the way to the Olympics, we’re certainly not going there just to say we were there. We want to see how good we can become and take a real shot at winning the thing.”

For more information about Ignite Athletics, feel free to check out Ignite’s website at igniteathletics.com. All photos of Joel Lipinski with Football Canada are courtesy of Joel Lipinski.